Building a Lab
Table of Contents
- Install AD DS using Powershell
Pentest Environment Deployer
- This repo provides an easy way to deploy a clean and customized pentesting environment with Kali linux using vagrant and virtualbox.
- The DumpsterFire Toolset is a modular, menu-driven, cross-platform tool for building repeatable, time-delayed, distributed security events. Easily create custom event chains for Blue Team drills and sensor / alert mapping. Red Teams can create decoy incidents, distractions, and lures to support and scale their operations. Turn paper tabletop exercises into controlled "live fire" range events. Build event sequences ("narratives") to simulate realistic scenarios and generate corresponding network and filesystem artifacts.
Resources for VMs
- Vulnhub is a website dedicated to cataloging various vulnerable VMs from across the web. It also has a healthy community that creates and submits new VMs on a regular basis. As I write this now, I believe there is around 100 or so different VMs on Vulnhub, so you have a bit of variation.
- An Intentionally Vulnerable Router Firmware Distribution
- List of VMs that are preconfigured virtual machines
The Hacker Games - Hack the VM before it hacks you
- I have talked about counterattacks here before, and this system has implemented a number of aggressive anti-hacker measures. In fact, this VM is downright evil. I am probably legally obligated to tell you that it will try to hack you. So if a calculator or message declaring your pwnedness pops up or shows up on your desktop, you asked for it. But don’t worry, it won’t steal your docs or rm you, it will just demonstrate compromise for the game. To save precious bandwidth, this has been implemented in a minimal tinycore-based VM, and will require VirtualBox to run.
Down by the Docker
- Ever fantasized about playing with docker misconfigurations, privilege escalation, etc. within a container? Download this VM, pull out your pentest hats and get started
OWASP Broken Web Applications Project
- OWASP Broken Web Applications Project is a collection of vulnerable web applications that is distributed on a Virtual Machine.
- OWASP Juiceshop
- Vulhub - Some Docker-Compose files for vulnerabilities environment
- Very vulnerable ARM application (CTF style exploitation tutorial for ARM, but portable to other platforms)
Installing Active Directory
- Install AD DS using Powerhsell
- AutomatedLab is a provisioning solution and framework that lets you deploy complex labs on HyperV and Azure with simple PowerShell scripts. It supports all Windows operating systems from 2008 R2 to 2016 including Nano Server and various products like AD, Exchange, PKI, IIS, etc.
- A PowerShell script that aims to have a fully configured domain built in under 10 minutes, but also apply security configuration and hardening.
Home Lab with pfSense & VMware Workstation - sysadmin perspective
- I wanted to build a virtual lab environment at home that would emulate an office environment. My requirements were to have separate network segments for Clients & Servers, and two DMZ networks. I also wanted my home network, which is external to the virtual lab environment, to emulate the Internet, even though it really isn’t. The following is how I created multiple “named” LAN segments within VMware Workstation, and routed between them using a VM running pfSense, which is an open source firewall.
- Setting Up a Pentest/Hacking Lab with Hyper-V
Windows Server 2016: Build a Windows Domain Lab at Home for Free
- Microsoft Technet tutorial
- Pentest Home Lab - 0x2 - Building Your AD Lab on Premises-SethSec
- Building A Lab on AWS - 0x1 SethSec
- Building an Effective Active Directory Lab Environment for Testing
- Hack Yourself: Building a Test Lab - David Boyd
- Hack-Yourself: Building a pentesting lab for fun & profit
- Setting up a Windows Lab Environment
- Setting Up A Penetration Testing Lab - Rapid7
- Building a Pentest Lab - stan.gr
- SANS Webcast: Building Your Own Super Duper Home Lab